Sunday, January 20, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions

Q? What are Canada's Firearm Laws?

  • Canada's gun law require that all non residents complete a Non Resident Firearm Declaration Form. (JUS 909EF).  This will act as your licence and registration for your time in Canada. This form is also needed to purchase ammunition in Canada.  The fee is $ 50 CDN which is good for 12 months. This form should be filled out in advance, in triplicate, and then must be signed in the presence of a customs officer.

 Click here to visit the RCMP website to download the form.


Q? How Do I Get My Firearms Into Canada?


You will need a firearm declaration form to clear your shotgun through customs.  Non-resident Firearm Declaration (FORM JUS 909 EF- see further down on this page for the link)

A Customs Officer must confirm your declaration.

Q? What Do I Need To Bring?

  • Your passport
  • Warm insulated clothing as temperatures can range from 20 F to -50 F
  • Boots
  • Rain Gear
  • Gloves
  • Bird Calls ( if you wish to do your own calling)
  • Camouflage clothing including face mask
  • Gun with gun case (and it must have hard locking gun case for plane)
  • Cooler to bring back your birds. Talk to your airline about regulations and size requirements.
  • Camera
  • Waders (if you want to assit in retrieving game)
  • Head lamp or good flashlight

Q? Where Do I Fly Into?

  • You fly into Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. The airport is named John D. Diefenbaker.

Q? How Do I Get my Birds Back into the United States?

  • All sports taken migratory birds imported into the USA via Canada must have one fully feathered wing attached to the body. (Feet and Head do not count)
  • All imports into the USA of sport taken migratory birds may only be imported by the person who hunted them. A hunter cannot give the birds to another person to take back into the USA on their behalf.
  • No other types or forms of migratory birds will be allowed into the USA; no sausage or processed meats.
  • Any taxidermy or mounted birds, geese, or cranes can only be imported into the USA when accompanied by a USA migratory bird import/export permit.  This will have to be applied for in advance.